Telangana Geography – 3
- Telangana is the only State in the entire Southern India containing vast deposits of coal and is being mined by M/s Singareni Collieries Company Ltd. a state public sector unit
The State is also endowed with a number of
- scattered medium grade iron ore deposits in Bayyaram Reserve Forest
- float iron ore deposits in Khammam district [Appalanarasimhapuram & Vallabhi]
- low grade scattered iron ore deposits in Karimnagar, Adilabad, Warangal districts.
- Uranium deposits with an estimated reserves of 11 Million Tons in Lambapur, Pulicherla and Yellapur villages of Nalgonda district.
Note: Uranium Corporation of India Ltd (UCIL) proposes to set up an open pit and three underground mines in Nalgonda district. It plans a central plant about 48 km from the mine site based on acid leaching.The UCIL decision comes in the wake of a large uranium resource which has been established at Lambapur-Peddagattu region of the district. The corporation is said to be preparing to take up uranium mining in Chandampet and P A Palli mandals
- Vast limestone deposits being mined by cement industries in Nalgonda, Ranga Reddy, Karimnagar, Adilabad districts
- Manganese ore available in Adilabad district was earlier exploited by M/s Manganese Ore India Ltd. (MOIL), a Central Public Sector Undertaking (CPSU). However, after relinquishment of the areas by MOIL, manganese is now being mined by private sector.
- The gneissic granite occurring in Bheemgal and other areas in Nizamabad district is marketed under commercial name Indian Arora and it is mostly used for manufacture of monuments and flooring purpose.
- The Singareni Collieries Company excavates coal for industrial purpose and for thermal power stations.